Wednesday, 19 September 2012

The Ahh Bra...The Marmite of bras?

*Firstly, I'd like to say that I was sent the following items to review by the company in question. I blog honestly and will not lie about a product just because it was sent free of charge.*

We've all seen those late night shopping channels advertising miracle products that you simply can't live without, right? Sometimes they can grab your attention...

"Tired of hooks, wires straps and underwires?" Sounds interesting, go on..."Say goodbye to the barbaric torture of traditional bras and hello to technology made perfect!" Riiiiight...."The Ahh Bra...." Oh, that thing...

Like I said in the title, to me the Ahh Bra (affectionately know as the Argh Bra by some bloggers!) is like Marmite; you either love it or hate it. I'm a firm believer in the need for wires, hooks, straps and a solid band to support the breasts, so I'm in the 'hate it' camp. So when a representative of Rhonda Shear contacted me to see if if I'd like to review the Ahh Bra, I was reluctant but in the interests of my blog, thought it would be an ideal product to try.

Rhonda Shear, the designer of the Ahh Bra is undoubtedly a passionate and inspirational businesswoman, having won numerous entrepreneurial awards since the launch of the Ahh Bra 2002. Rhonda was an all-American beauty pageant kind of girl, later posing for Playboy, then moving onto TV, movies and stand-up comedy. Wanting a new project, Rhonda decided to embark upon designing a revolutionary new bra; and the Ahh Bra was born! Rhonda's range has since expanded to include nightwear, outerwear such as leggings and secret support vests, dresses and shapewear, which I was hoping I'd get to try out.



The ever glamorous Rhonda Shear (photo courtesy of Up All Night)


The Ahh Bra has no hooks, wires or adjustable straps and comes in sizes XS-2XL without the 'need' for cup sizes. It's supposedly guaranteed to fit perfectly. We'll see about that...!


Beautifully presented. But never judge a book by it's cover...


I was sent four items from Rhonda's 2012 collection; the original Ahh Bra, an Ahh Bra with removable pads, the 'Sweet Tart' butterknit gown and the 'Pin Up' bra.



I received this in the Raspberry colour, in a size medium, based on my overbust measurement of 36" (I think). The underbust measurement isn't taken into account therefore I found it a little loose in the band.. The other major problem is that the straps aren't adjustable, and needed to be about 4 inches shorter. You can see in the picture below how the fit of the Ahh Bra is improved simply by shortening the straps, which also encased the 'armpit boobs' I was experiencing, an issue the Ahh Bra boasts to eliminate. Even then it's not something I'd be comfortable wearing outside the house.

I can't argue that the construction of the Ahh Bra isn't well designed, with it's tight knit in place of traditional wires, and looser knit to accommodate the bust. This is not an exclusive design though, as there are other bras on the market that sport a similar construction. 

The Original Ahh Bra is unsuitable or use as a functional  bra in my opinion, as it does not support the bust in a way that a wired and adjustable bra can. I'd only suggest the Ahh Bra to be worn as a sleep bra or for slobbing out on the sofa.




The Ahh Generation Bra (with removable pads):
This one is virtually the same (looks and fit) as the Original Ahh Bra, except it has removable pads and is in the Blush colour. The fit in this one was...interesting, the pads far too small for my GG cups. However much I tried, I couldn't get my boobs NOT to look wonky, so I don't really have much to say on this one that I haven't said already. Er....enjoy? 



I so badly wanted this to work as I hadn't had much luck with the first two. But the only positive thing I can find to say about this non-wired, soft cup bra is that it has LOADS of hooks and eyes, see? I wish other bra makers would follow suit, although they were quite fiddly to fasten, so maybe not.



This bra was a Small yet the band stretched right up to 40". Yes, the fabric is that stretchy. Bearing in mind my underbust measurement is 28", you can see why this particular style doesn't work for me. Again, the straps were far too long and coupled with the very loose band, the bra offered no support whatsoever. Yes, that's my natural shape in the first picture. Also, check out the HUGE arm holes! 




Possibly the most disappointing of them all. I was hoping to at least salvage this to sleep in, and on unwrapping it, it was instantly my favourite of the package. The nylon/spandex mix is beautifully soft and stretchy, and the black lace over nude is a nice touch. Although the straps are adjustable, I didn't find this helped at all, since they are very thin and flimsy, completely unsuitable for supporting GG cup boobs!

Again, this is a small and again the band was extremely stretchy, offering no support, so my boobs sit as though I'm not wearing a bra at all. I think the pictures speak for themselves:


All in all, I wouldn't recommend any of the products I've reviewed if you have a fuller bust. They might work okay for a woman with a smaller bust than myself I guess, but since you're reading fuller bust blog, then I can't say I'd be able to guess. Apparently, the Ahh Bra is hugely popular and has sold millions of units, so I guess a lot of women have had success with them. What works for one might not work for another, so who am I to argue?!

Have you tried an Ahh Bra? What did you think?

22 comments:

  1. I've never tried the Ahh Bra but have spent a fair amount of time watching Rhonda Shear selling both the Ahh Bras and the Ahh Panties on HSN (the Home Shopping Network) both on television and on YouTube. Naturally, as you might have guess from the title of my blog ("Full Brief Panties") I paid a lot more attention to the Ahh briefs than I did to their bras. Much of the time HSN shows the bras and briefs on mannequins, but sometimes they show them (as they do in this video) on models who are, naturally, nowhere near as curvy and full busted as you are.I like the colours but have always wondered how they would feel. Since if and when I don't have breasts of my own and have to use breast forms I wonder if I'd need to use adhesive to keep them in place with an Ahh Bra?

    One thing your modeling demonstration of the Ahh Bras shows with certainty is that one shouldn't expect a lot of shaping power from them. I doubt I'll try them unless I see a full high-waisted Ahh brief in a colour and cut that looks irresistible and there's special package deal for a matching set - so probably not - but if I get one I'll let you know how it worked out. Sorry it didn't work well for you. Great pics though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again! I'm not sure if you'd need adhesive to keep breast forms in place with an ahh bra. I'm assuming you're asking for yourself? You'll have more scope with the sizes than myself as you have a bigger back measurement so the Ahh Bra may well work for you. Just buy quite the size with quite a tight band so the breast forms can't escape out of the bottom. That wouldn't be fun!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. for replying! I apologise for deleting my comment a number of minutes ago - I didn't proofread adequately. Yes, your assumption was correct. I was asking about wearing the breast forms and bra myself. I still haven't purchased new breast forms yet. Good ones are expensive. I suspect the best ones must be individually be fitted.? I'm logged into my YouTube Channel right now and HSN just uploaded a new video advertising the Rhonda Shear Divine Underwire Leisure Bra for $17.90 US dollars. I liked the colour of the knockers being modeled with the bra but was imagining the bra being modeled by you. I doubt that the strapless bra would stay up like they claim. Thanks for the advice on the band size, I'm pretty sure I won't buy an Ahh Bra. I think I'd prefer a longline bra, bustier or corsetiere. I can visualize my breast forms slipping out the bottom of a bra. It could be quite awkward attempting to get it all straightened out in a powder room. If you ever have the time and are so inclined I would love it if you stopped by my lingerie review blog Full Brief Panties sometime to grace me with your thoughts or a comment there. Thank so much again for your patience and thoughtful reply here!

      Delete
    4. Oops - meant to write knickers, not knockers. Sorry.

      Delete
    5. For Panty Buns: When I tried to get to your blog Google (I'm using Chrome) came up with a message saying that your site was infected with malware from www.knickersblog.com and that knickersblog had been notified. Scary message about computer infections. Thought you should know.

      Delete
    6. Yikes! That's good to know. I've found Blogger to be very fast at getting bugs (like the one I posted on last) cleaned up. Blogger posted a notice about it. but bad for knickersblog. I hope that gets cleaned up. My Blogspot blog is working perfectly, but would to know if you hear anything else.

      I tipped off to your message by Kelly @kel_kitty on Twitter and made the comment there that I "Would like to get to the bottoms of this!" (P.S. @ Kelly - I cracked up when you replied "@Panty_Buns bwahahaha ha!") :D

      I thought it might be my WordPress blog (which went down for a few days) but I had my I.S.P.'s techies look at it and it came back clean (it's working again). The techie who checked my blog had Google Chrome as a browser himself. I'll be extra careful about my links on WordPress from now on and am thankful Google is on top of things.

      Back to the post's subject. @Kelly - I can see that the Ahh Bras don't have enough support for your amazing and beautiful GG cup boobs. How frustrating. I love watching the "ever glamourous Rhonda Shear". Maybe she should hire you to aid in developing a new specially designed Kelly Ahh Bra for extra curvy women!

      Delete
  2. I bought something similar called the Genie Bra... looks like the exact same thing. It was perfect for pregnancy but definitely didn't provide much shape or support!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for reading. The Genie bra is pretty much the same thing. In fact, you can buy imitations of both on ebay for about £3!

      Delete
  3. Yes I have heard a lot of people say in respect of similar types that they are not suitable for the larger bust woman. I would probably buy a cheap one for bed but that would be all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm yet to try it for bed, I need to alter the straps first and I'm notoriously lazy at doing things like that. I thought I'd be able to wear it to bed without alteration at least, but no :(

      Delete
  4. I've not personally tried it but reading this and Darlenes review on it on Hourglassy I'd say I'm sticking to my Bravissimo racer back pj tops! http://hourglassy.com/2012/09/can-a-busty-girl-wear-the-ahh-bra-by-rhonda-shear/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Bravissimo PJ tops aren't the best fit but they're far better than this monstrosity!

      Delete
  5. There is a difference of selling millions of units, and having millions of sastified customers. I feel like the women who buy this bra are poorly educated on the proper fit of a bra (as is Rhonda, if she believes the information in her own informercials), and are desperate for a bra that fits more comfortably. Just like the women who buy a Playtex bra with a "non ride up band," they are just buying into the gimmack of it all and probably are disappointed with the fit once they have brought it home but don't bother to return it. I was interested in trying one out as a sleep bra, but just can't bring myself to buy one. I feel like if I do, I am somehow feeding into its hype. Thanks for the review!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, I'm glad you found it useful. I guess the Ahh Bra is the perfect example of how powerful marketing can be. Their team managed to convince it's customers that the Ahh Bra can fix the problems of badly fitting bras they're having. Little do they realise that simply going for a fitting at a reputable store could fix this. Very sad!

      Delete
  6. ahh bra's actually look is great. I use only this bra because i feel better in the ahh bra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't look too bad but in person they offer very little support. I imagine they can work for some women as a lounge bra but nothing more than that.

      Delete
  7. I wanna shop for a Huge bra. Do you shop online? I wanna know some of your ideas and suggestions on where to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, thanks for reading. Just have a look at the rest of my blog for online retailers :)

      Delete


  8. I genuinely like reading through your opinions about Sexy Bras. Thanks a lot for putting this up. This is one of the blogs I find useful information.

    ReplyDelete